Dance. Drink. Sweat. Swim. Repeat. Hit your sleeping bag, wake up, and do it all over again … maybe brushing your teeth and swathing your face with a makeup remover cloth before you call it a night.
Sound like your music festival routine? You can totally do it and not have a makeup meltdown – you just need to be prepared. Here are some basic items and tips to help your look adapt to your environment.
You’ll want to pack as light as possible, so choose makeup items that can do double duty (ie – lip stain that can act as a blush, etc.) and make sure what you’re bringing is what you use everyday. Go for tried and true items, and get minis or transfer product to small pots.
Here are the basics:
1. Tinted Moisturizer with SPF – You’re in the sun the majority of the day, so you’ll need some powerful UV protection. Choose a lightweight, tinted moisturizer with SPF 30 or more (the higher the better) to put on first thing in the morning.
2. A Lip Stain – Melt-proof and smudge-proof, lip stains will stay put for hours better than lipstick or gloss.
3. Waterproof Mascara – We usually rely on mascara to take us from morning to noon to night without a touch up, and this is definitely the case at a music festival when you’re running from stage to stage all day long. Pack the right waterproof mascara (hint – Maybelline Great Lash waterproof mascara could withstand a tidal wave).
4. Makeup Remover Cloths – An express to-go cleanser for when you want to transition from a day to night look, or can’t find your mirror in a dark tent. Make sure your cloths are biodegradable, moisturizing, and come in a resealable sack.
5. Waterproof Eyeliner – A music festival is the time to be experimental with colours. Go for bold. Go for glitter. (Check out Sephora Collection Jumbo Liner that can be used as eyeliners or blended out as eye shadows and are resistant to water and heat.)
6. Aloe Gel – For sun damage control.
7. Coconut Oil – A one-stop-shop for total body moisture, you can use coconut oil on your skin, face, and hair. The result is deep conditioning without any added chemicals.
8. A Small Compact Mirror
9. A Small Quick-Dry Towel
10. Earplugs – For good beauty sleep!
If you’re at a campsite that has locker-room style showers, make sure you’ve got some change or $5 bills on hand for when you’re in need. But if you’ve been sweating all day and need a quick cleanse, the creative kids at Collegefashion.net have a good tip: If you want to wash your face, but don’t have access to a sink, pour water into an upside down Frisbee and use it to rinse.
Makeup Application Tip:
Go easy on the product. Apply your lip stain, waterproof mascara and a swipe of colourful mascara in the morning and then free your mind of makeup worries until you return to your tent at night to regroup for sundown. Stick a compact in your back pocket if you know you’ll want to do checkups. Ultimately, the best look is feeling good and having fun – and that doesn’t include worrying about touch-ups!
Need more ideas? Check out our 6 picks for makeup items that are weatherproof, compact, and awesome for music festivals.