Let’s take a peep into the makeup world for a split second, a place where all personalities are not only accepted, but are highly-esteemed and it looks like Lucky Bromhead, Catherine O’Hara’s personal makeup artist on the new series Schitt’s Creek, fits well into this industry. Lucky is that IT girl and we clearly see it through her bubbly personality and love for making people look and feel fabulous. Let’s be honest, we all need all the help we can get when it comes to makeup and this time around we’ve decided to dig a little deeper and have Lucky give us her best advice for looking over the top fabulous every day.
1. What is a day in the life of Lucky Bromhead like?
The real joy of being a freelance makeup artist is that there are no two days alike! Except the end of the day where you will find me washing a ton of makeup brushes.
2. Who are some of the people that have inspired you throughout your career?
I’m inspired by so many things and people! Many musicians, like the images of David Bowie, Bjé¶rk, Karen O. I love working to music so it always inspires me that way as well. My mother has always been well put together (she won’t even mow the lawn without lipstick on!). Other makeup artists inspire me constantly. I love the art of Maurizio Cattelan. I met many amazing female artists in Mexico City who I find very inspiring, like Srita Cobra (check her out on Facebook and Instagram). Most of the people I follow on Instagram are artists in varying mediums so I find inspiration there sometimes as well. Going to a city I don’t know and observing how people put themselves together there is fascinating to me.
3. How would you describe your signature look?
I think my work is fairly versatile. I think my talent lies in identifying how people are feeling and what they want to portray to the world, rather than one signature look. Every face speaks to me in a different way and therefore the end result tends to be different with each experience.
4. We’ve noticed you’ve worked with (just to name a few) celebrities like Kanye West, Rihanna and Meghan Trainor and you are currently working as Catherine O’Hara’s personal makeup artist on the new series Schitt’s Creek (see it Jan 13 on CBC in Canada and Feb 11 on POP in the USA). Are there any celebrities who you would like to work with that you haven’t as of yet?
I would love to work with Bjé¶rk. I adore working with actors and musicians.
5. Do you feel like you have achieved all of your goals as a successful makeup artist?
6. You always seem to impress us, but are there anything new projects that we can expect from you this coming year? Maybe a makeup line?
I may have something up my sleeve but you’ll have to wait and find out what it is!
7. What are some of your favourite products in your makeup kit?
MAC is always in my kit. Their line is consistently stellar all around. I also love Tom Ford Shade and Illuminate, Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer, Armani foundations, MUFE eyeshadows, Oribe hairspray and I have an addiction to Batiste dry hair shampoo.
8. What products do you think should be a staple in every woman’s purse?
A good bright lipstick and an illuminating product like YSL’s Touché© é‰clat.
9. What is your top 3 beauty hacks?
- Peach concealer appropriate to your skin tone applied under the eyes will make you look refreshed.
- Blue red lipstick will make your teeth look whiter.
- Dry Shampoo will keep your locks from looking stringy without the stress of a daily wash.
10. As a creative person, what are some other creative things you like to do?
I love going to the art gallery in every city I’m in. I draw and paint. I write. I teach my dogs new tricks. I see music live as often as I can. I surround myself with other artists. I take classes when I can and always believe it’s never too late to learn something.
Watch Lucky’s beauty looks on Schitt’s Creek on CBC in Canada and on POP in the USA.
Photo credit (Catherine O’Hara)- Matt Barnes
Photo credit (Colourful makeup look) – Wade Hudson