Back-to-school shopping can be stressful. You want to have the perfect new outfit for the first day of class and make a great impression. I find that a good outfit can really set the tone with my mood. That being said, to avoid running around the mall with a huge shopping list – focus on 5 key items you need for a simple back-to-school wardrobe that is versatile, classic, and chic.
1) Button Down Shirt: A classic cotton button-up shirt can be worn open with a printed tee, tucked into jeans, or into a nice skirt. Get a simple chambray button-up, or a sheer silk fabric. These shirts are comfortable, great for layering and can be dressed-up with bold jewellery for a night out and totally casual for throwing on before early morning classes.
2) Jeans: A closet staple! Invest in a pair of jeans that fit you comfortably. While jean shopping is not always the most fun experience, it might be worthwhile to purchase multiple washes of the same cut of jeans that you love. It’s something that I’ve always wished I would have done when I find a pant that fits!
3) Flats: Comfy and stylish footwear! Not always the easiest combination to find, but there are comfy options for all styles. If you like it casual – Toms, Vans, Sperry, or Converse sneakers are great. Ballet flats and loafers are also a great everyday shoe – Tory Burch, Bloch, Geox, and Nine West all have some cushioned options.
4) Hoodie: This is a back-to-school essential. You never know if it’s going to be chilly in the classroom and this staple can also double as an early fall jacket. Effortless and comfortable, this is the sweater you’ll reach for when you’re cramming for exams or walking to class. Ariztia, Lulu Lemon, American Apparel, and Adidas all have some fashionable options! Don’t be afraid to pick a bold color or pattern. It’s a closet basic that matches great with jeans and a simple t-shirt.
5) Jean Jacket: Traditional and trendy, a jean jacket is the perfect back-to-school basic. A classic Levis jean jacket is timeless and matches with anything and everything in your closet. And if you want a statement jacket – there are great jean jackets in unique washes at Forever21, American Eagle and more. A while jean jacket, ombre, or neon colored is also very functional and matches with dresses, jeans (yes you can wear jean on jean! I’m all about the Canadian Tuxedo) and can be layered over a hoodie for a perfect fall look.
All images from lookbook.nu