The nerves are high and you want to make a good first impression. How do you keep the conversation flowing, find common ground and get to know the lucky guy you’re on a date with? Believe me, we’ve all been on awkward first dates, but how can you put your best conversation forward and have a good time?
1) Talk about weekend plans: What are you up to on the weekend? Get to know his hobbies, past times, and what he likes to do for fun.
2) Ask about friends: Find out about the company he keeps! You can get a good idea of what his personality is like based on the people that are close to him. Also, remember that the first date is all about sharing your best stories – your ‘greatest hits’, we’ll call ‘em.
3) Interests, hobbies: Ask him about what he enjoys. John Cusack’s character in “High Fidelity” said it best, “the first date isn’t about what you’re like, but about what you like”. While I don’t know if that’s entirely true, a first date really is about finding common ground! If he shares the same music playlist as you, or the same foodie interests as you, I’d say you’re off to a good start.
4) Career: Talk about what you do during the day. Ask him about his career goals. Is he ambitious? Does he love his work? Personally, I find it very attractive when someone is pursuing something that they love and are excited about their work. But most importantly, it’s about finding whether or not you have the same work ethic, or the same ego! It’s fairly common for men to brag about their work, so look for cues if he’s an ego maniac!
5) Family: When I mention ‘family’, start with something safe like whether or not he has a brother or sister. See where the conversation takes you! But keep things light and don’t dig deep. If he wants to share stories about his family and how they interact, let the conversation take you where you are both comfortable.
6) Travel: Talk about travel! Talk about exciting places you have been, where you want to go. Ask him about his travels, has be seen the world? Is he open to trying new things? It’s a great chance to find out how he tells stories and what he finds exciting.
Most of all, try not to put too much pressure on yourself and remember that short silences happen… even on a first date! It’s ok! Take turns navigating the conversation and enjoy your company. Smile!