It’s not uncommon to start taking your beau for granted once you’ve reached the comfortable stage of the relationship. Your priorities include getting to work on time, making it to the gym and sliding into bed exhausted “ in the midst of this, you’re lucky to muster a few quick smooches and mumbled ˜I love you’s.
The wooing phase may be over but don’t abandon spontaneous acts of love “ they will keep your relationship healthy and playful. It doesn’t have to involve a gourmet dinner and a roomful of candles “ sometimes the simplest everyday acts are the most meaningful. Here’s a little inspiration to get creative the next time you say I love you:
1. Tuck a note into his jacket pocket, briefcase or homemade lunch: Unexpected love-notes can go a long way to make him feel adored.
2. Surprise him in the shower: You have to get in anyway, so why not together? This is the perfect way to stay playful and inject a little romance into an everyday task.
3. Wake him up with something hot: Fix his tea nice and milky or run down the street for his favourite Americano before he wakes up. It’s a sure way to get you in his good books and make him feel totally special.
4. Snag tickets to his favourite game or concert: He sits through your annoying reality shows and often lets you choose the takeout, so make your next night together all about him. This is especially sweet if the game or concert is really not your thing.
5. Add tunes to his ipod: The days of mixed tapes are long gone, but that doesn’t mean you can’t arrange a customized playlist. Download some sentimental tracks (or just ones you think he’ll like) and ensure he thinks all about you on his next morning commute.
6. Pick up his dry-cleaning (or iron his shirts): It’s an odious task, so spare him the trouble and make him feel taken care of.
7. Do his jobs for just one night: If he’s the one who usually takes out the garbage, washes up after dinner or cleans the cat’s litter, give him a break. Treat him to a night off and he’ll thank you later.
8. Stock up on his favourite foods: You don’t have to be a kid to appreciate a good afternoon snack “ make sure to have his favourite sea salt chips and a cold tallboy on hand for his next visit.
9. Take him to lunch: Spontaneity keeps the romance alive, so show up to his work (on a day you know isn’t too busy) and treat him to lunch. There’s nothing better than an unexpected lunch date to break up the day.