Derma rolling, also known as micro-needling, is a skincare technique that involves rolling a device studded with tiny needles over the skin. This process is believed to rejuvenate the skin by stimulating collagen production, which can reduce the appearance of scars, wrinkles, and large pores.
Derma rolling has been used for years to, among other uses, help erase acne scars and just like everything in this age and day, it has also become quite a sensation on social media. Here’s how to safely and effectively use a derma roller.
What You Need
– A derma roller
– Isopropyl alcohol (for sterilization)
– A gentle cleanser
– A hydrating serum or moisturizer
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to use your Derma Roller.
Step 1: Choose the Right Needle Size
Derma rollers come in various needle lengths. For home use, it’s recommended to use needles shorter than 0.5mm. Longer needles are typically used by professionals.
Step 2: Sanitize Your Derma Roller
Before and after each use, soak the roller in isopropyl alcohol for about 5-10 minutes to sterilize it.
Step 3: Prepare Your Skin
Cleanse your face thoroughly with a gentle cleanser to remove any makeup, oil, and dirt.
Step 4: Start Rolling
– Divide your face into sections (forehead, cheeks, chin, etc.).
– Roll the derma roller over each section vertically, horizontally, and diagonally 4-5 times.
– Use gentle pressure; avoid pressing too hard.
Step 5: Apply a Serum or Moisturizer
After rolling, apply a hydrating serum or moisturizer. Choose products with ingredients like hyaluronic acid or peptides for best results.
Step 6: Clean Your Roller
Rinse the derma roller under warm water, then soak it in isopropyl alcohol again. Allow it to air dry.
Step 7: Aftercare
– Avoid wearing makeup for at least 24 hours after derma rolling.
– Apply sunscreen daily, as your skin will be more sensitive to the sun.
Tips and Warnings
– Do not use a derma roller on active acne, eczema, or irritated skin.
– Replace your derma roller every 3-6 months, depending on the frequency of use.
– Consult with a dermatologist if you have concerns or skin conditions.
Derma rolling can be a beneficial addition to your skincare routine, promoting skin rejuvenation and healing. By following these steps and tips, you can safely use a derma roller at home to achieve healthier, more youthful-looking skin.
*Remember, it’s always a good idea to consult with a dermatologist or skincare professional before starting any new skincare routine, especially one that involves a tool like a derma roller.