As ladies constantly chained to our keyboards, we’re always looking for a nail polish that can last more than a day without chipping. From the office, to home, to drinks and everything in between, we need polishes that last throughout the week without chipping, because chipped nail polish is a solid sign you aren’t taking good care of yourself”food for thought!
The contenders: OPI Infinite Shine Gel Effects Lacquer System in Strong Coal-ition and Primer base coat and Gloss top coat ($15 each, available at professional salons nationwide) and CND Vinylux Weekly Polish in Indigo Frock and Weekly Top Coat ($12 each, available at professional salons nationwide)
The control: Applied similar shades to nails on a Sunday night, creating an even playing field for keyboard stress at work, according to the brand’s suggestions on how many coats.
OPI Infinite Shine Gel Effects Lacquer
- 30 shades to choose from, with some of the colours we’ve come to know and love from OPI
- Same great application known to OPI shades
- This may be more of a personal preference thing, but I don’t dig the whole high-shine polish”it’s really super shiny, which could be a pro, depending on who you ask
- It lasted only 3.5 days before the first official chip was noticed
- Three steps in this system, not crucial, but time is money, people!
- Only a two-step system”massive time-saver
- No staining, even though there’s no designated base coat, just one worked into the polish
- Lasted almost until the end of the week sans chips
- Smaller brush allows for more control for those who can’t paint their right hand (or left hand, if you’re a leftie)
- Bonus: this top coat can be used on ANY POLISH and will make it last longer (we’re currently hoarding five bottles in the office)
- 4 full days before the first chip was noticed (not quite a whole week like we’d hoped)
The verdict: The OPI Infinite Shine was a great contender against the much-loved CND Vinylux, but in the end, we had to give it to our old faithful. Chalk it up to personal preference, but a normal shine, two-step system is where are hearts lie”at least until the next brand steps up to the plate.