If you’ve spent endless hours at the gym and in cardio classes to get into shape and tone-up, you know how much hard work it takes to get into those skinny jeans and live to not regret it. On the flip side of that, you also know how easy it can be to sabotage all those good workout efforts with a couple of wayward snacking options (See: 9 Healthy Snacks.) With that in mind, we’ve compiled a list of our favourite (and healthy!) snacks that not only keep hunger at bay but also keep you on track without threatening to bust your diet:
Food manufacturers have started to understand and respond to consumer demands by repackaging snack foods to meet the 100 calorie mark. While not the ideal option, it’s a quick fix option you can toss in your desk drawer when you’re in a pinch:
1. A medium sized piece of fruit will do wonders to keep you satisfied before lunch or dinner, while still being kind to your waistline. So reach for an apple, peach or banana to tide you over.
2. Three cups of plain popcorn hits the 100 calories mark and is an easy option to take with you on the go.
3. Fat free yogurt with berries and cinnamon is another great option that will also give you a calcium boost.
4. A dozen almonds and a small piece of cheese is a good dose of protein that keeps you feeling full for longer.
5. Try making your own concoction of dried fruits and nuts. Dried cherries or blueberries work well with cashews, almonds or pumpkin seeds.
6. Slice up some veggies that you can toss in a baggie and eat with a few tablespoons of humus or a low fat dip.
7. A Fall favourite is a latte made with skim milk. Instant pick me up and a nice treat on cooler days.
8. If you can find it in the grocery isle, a slice of sprouted bread with almond butter is a great choice.
9. Kale chips are a waistline friendly option when you are craving a crunch and some salt. You can find these in most health food stores or in certain groceries stores.