There’s no better season than summer to take advantage of fresh produce. These summer salad recipes are easy to prepare, healthy, and perfect for hot weather. All three work great when paired with a seasonal summer dinner (such as grilled fish or homemade pizza). They’re also perfect as lighter lunch alternatives.
Avocado, Watermelon & Arugala Salad
Full of flavour and unbelievably simple, this salad is also packed full of Omega 3 Fatty acids and Vitamins.
- 2 ripe avocados (diced into cubes)
- ¾ cup sliced watermelon (diced into roughly the same size cubes as the avocado)
- 2 cups of fresh arugala (washed)
- 1 lime (squeezed)
- sea salt (to taste)
- fresh ground pepper (to taste)
Dice the avocado and watermelon into cubes. Wash and dry the arugala and place it into a large bowl. Throw the avocado and watermelon into the bowl with the arugala. Drizzle with olive oil. Add the juice of 1 lime, sea salt and pepper. Toss everything together thoroughly and serve.
Pear, Walnut & Blue Cheese Salad with Mixed Greens & Balsamic Vinaigrette
Think you don’t like blue cheese? Think again. The sweetness of the pear against the sharpness of the blue cheese is a perfect match.
For the salad:
- 2 ½ cups of mixed baby greens (washed)
- 2 ripe pears (sliced into matchsticks)
- 1 orange (squeezed)
- 1/3 cup of crumbled blue cheese
- 3 tablespoons of chopped walnuts (lightly toasted) ˜
For the vinaigrette:
- 3 tbsps of balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp of sugar
- a handful of roughly chopped basil
- ½ cup of olive oil
- salt and fresh ground pepper
Prepare the vinaigrette by whisking all ingredients together and putting them in the fridge for 30 minutes. Slice the pears and toss with the orange juice. Toast the walnuts in the oven just until they brown slightly and become fragrant (watch them carefully “ it takes no time at all.) Toss the pears with the mixed baby greens and vinaigrette. Sprinkle the blue cheese and walnuts on top, mix gently, and serve.