Winter is on its way whether we like it or not, and with that means a better beauty routine, including weekly exfoliation sessions. Between making sure all our makeup is scrubbed off after a long day (or night out) and sloughing away flaky skin, exfoliators are an important part of every beauty maven’s regimen. But which exfoliator should you choose? Well, that’s why we’re here.
The Contenders: Clarisonic Mia2 Skin Cleansing System ($180, Sephora.ca) and Boscia Konjac (pronounced like cognac) Cleansing Sponge ($19, Sephora.ca)
The Control: With a dab of our favourite cleanser, used on a full face of makeup and then dried with a paper towel to see how much makeup was left behind.
- Provides a deep, exfoliating cleanse that you can actually feel
- Removed almost all traces of makeup
- Left skin feeling soft and smooth, with a brighter complexion
- The timed vibrations made it easy to know how long to focus on each area of the face
- The normal brush heads could be a bit rough on sensitive skin
- High price point and the brush heads should be replaced every couple of months (depending on frequency of use), meaning an added cost
- You have to remember to charge it every few uses
- A natural exfoliating alternative
- Lower price point, so even though it should be replaced every couple of months (depending on frequency of use), it won’t break the bank
- Provided a gentle clean that was great on sensitive skin
- Didn’t remove all makeup in one use
- Left skin soft, but not bright and buffed
The Verdict: The Boscia Konjac Sponge is great for a gentle clean, but when it comes to a serious deep clean exfoliation, we have to give it to the Clarisonic, proving there’s a reason this has become a cult favourite and so many beauty gals are coveting it. Sure, it’s a good chunk of change, but totally worth the glowing skin investment.