Spring break is coming and you’re trying to figure out what to do and where to go. You've been to Mexico and Cuba before and know the moment you step into an all-inclusive resort with an open buffet you can kiss your fitness resolution for the year goodbye.
However, there is a solution to this dilemma. Opt for taking a fitness vacation where you can runway to a tropical paradise, eat delicious food and work on getting into tip-top shape. Here are several fun and action-packed fitness vacations, sorted by activity, guaranteed to give you the time of your life.
Beach Body Boot Camp
As the old saying goes, ‘No pain no gain’ but they didn’t mention that you couldn’t enjoy an obstacle course on a white sandy beach! Beach boot camps will guarantee you a great tan, as well as tone your entire body. Check out:
- Bikini Boot Camp (Tulum, Mexico) – sweat, move and recharge in paradise where you’ll take part in a range of activities from African dance classes to ab crunches on the beach.
- The Pinnacle Challenge (Palm Springs, California) – this desert retreat offers three-day excursions, cardiovascular, flexibility and circuit training with certified instructors, they also offer daily massages.
- Vita Vie Retreat (Delray Beach, Florida) – recommended by Oxygen magazine, experience boutique-style fitness on the shores of the Orange State by working up a sweat while staying at the Marriot Delray Beach hotel.
Lovers of the great outdoors strap on your hiking boots and go for a walk on the wild side at these getaways:
- Coastal Trek Resort (Vancouver Island, British Columbia) – this family-run resort offers guests picturesque accommodations and a variety of programs such as hiking and yoga.
- Mountain Trek (various locations) – Mountain Treak has an international program that will whisk you around the world; hike in the deserts of Baja, Mexico or trek around the exotic countryside of Japan.
- New Life Hiking Spa (Killington, Vermont) – nestled in the Green Mountains of Vermont, this friendly hiking getaway gives its guests the opportunity to take-part in its exciting hiking program, relaxing spa and the sights of mother nature’s beauty.
Pilates & Yoga
Strengthen your core and prefect your downward dog by heading to a tropical island or rustic forest sanctuary. Check out:
- Azul Yoga & Pilates (Canary Islands, Spain) – rolling sand dunes and turquoise ocean, you have us at hello! Practicing yoga and pilates in the idyllic Canary Islands needs no other explanation.
- Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health (Stockbridge, Massachusetts) – open to yogis of all levels, Kripalu is one of the largest and most established yoga and holistic retreats in North America. The center offers more than 700 programs in nutrition, fitness and personal growth taught by world-renowned teachers, authors and motivational speakers.
- Pilates Nosara (Nosara, Costa Rica) – hidden in the mountains of Costa Rica, Pilates Nosara offers a spa-like environment with yoga and pilates classes, massage therapy, surfing and more.
- Sivananda Ashram Yoga Retreat Bahamas (Nassau, Bahamas) – a yoga practice in five acres of tropical paradise awaits you in the Bahamas. Sivananda Ashram offers many programs, such as various levels of hatha yoga and meditation instruction.
Cure your surfing curiosities once and for all by packing your bags and heading to some of the world’s most coveted surf beaches. Catch waves at these exciting retreats:
- Hawaii Surf Retreat (Oahu, Hawaii) – there’s no place better to learn how to surf than by traveling to the sport’s origin. From beginner to intermediate, get instructions from pros surfers and take-in the island’s breathtaking environment.
- Lucero Surf Retreats (Puerto Rico and Costa Rica) – take daily surf and morning yoga lessons in the tropics and on a world-class beach. Lucero offers packages for couples, groups of friends, singles or families with children.
- Surf Goddess Retreats (Bali, Indonesia) – voted by Asia Magazine as one of the “Top 10 Sports Holidays,” Surf Goddess Retreats caters to adventurous women with tailored lessons perfect for the absolute beginner.