So you want glowing skin “ who doesn’t? A good complexion is a sign of youth, beauty and overall health. Fortunately, getting your skin in tip top shape isn’t as hard as you might think. If you want glowing skin, just follow these five simple steps.
1. Use products formulated for your skin type. One of the worst things you can do for your skin is to use the wrong product “ just try washing your dry, delicate skin with a cleanser made for oily skin and you’ll know what I’m talking about (ouch!). If your skin is oily, a creamy cleanser made for dry skin will only clog your pores and leave you feeling greasy.
To determine your skin type, just wash your face, wait at least 30 minutes, and then check out your skin. Is it tight and dry? You have dry skin. Is it already starting to show sheen? Your skin is oily. If the T-zone area (your forehead, nose and chin) seems a little oily but your cheeks are normal or dry, you have combination skin. If washing even with a gentle cleanser leaves your face flushed or irritated, you probably have sensitive skin. And if you skin looks, well, normal, you have normal skin (congratulations!).
It’s easy enough to find the right products – just read the labels. There are products out there for every skin type, so just look for what you need in a cleanser and moisturizer. Also invest in a night cream for your skin type, as well as a good eye cream.
2. Look into special treatments. There are dozens of treatment products out there: serums, exfoliators, at-home peels and masques that target everything from pore size to acne to discolourations. If you have a problem, odds are there’s a product that can help. Again, let your skin type drive your choices. And if you’re not sure about something, ask an expert. Most stores that sell beauty products have a consultant on hand, or if you’re ordering online, visit websites that have tools to help you design the perfect regimen for your skin type.
3) Wear sunscreen as if your life depended on it. We hate to preach, but too much sun will put you on the fast track to premature aging. Purchase moisturizers and foundation with added SPF, and if you are going to be outdoors, apply a layer of sunscreen underneath your makeup. Wear sunglasses, too, to prevent crow’s feet from squinting “ you’ll look very chic in your large framed sunglasses. For sports (including spectator ones!), wear a hat with a wide brim or visor.
4) See a dermatologist. You may have problems that are simply beyond over the counter treatments, such as severe acne or extremely sensitive skin. You might need a prescription topical cream or even an antibiotic to help you out. Sometimes a medical condition might appear to just be dry skin but could turn out to be something else, such as rosacea. Don’t be afraid to see a doctor “ after all, your skin is worth it!
5) Take care of yourself. Your face is one of the first places to show it if you aren’t getting enough sleep, aren’t eating right or are under too much stress – you get the picture. Try to get at least seven hours of sleep at night, don’t smoke cigarettes, and aim for a diet with lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. Your skin will thank you for it by being its glowing best!