2016 is shaping up to be an epic year in pop music. Between Beyonce pouring Lemonade all over our lives, Drake pouting it up in the 6ix, and the battle for The Song Of Summer only just getting off the ground we are off to a great start.
Once we have made it through this year of magical album releases and single drops, I will be happy to hear arguments on why 2016 is the best year in pop music. Until then, I will need you all to gather ˜round because we need to talk about the year 2003.
I have been arguing that 2003 was the best year in pop music for a while now EVEN THOUGH it has been pointed out to me that I probably feel that way because I was 14 that year and was therefore at peak pop-music-appreciating age.
But really. You guys. Where would we be without Dangerously In Love? 2003 was the year it all began with the release of Beyonce’s first solo album. We found out that 99 is an appropriate number of problems to have, so long as a bitch is not one of them and we knew this because Jay Z and Beyonce were Crazy In Love. This was the year we learned to shake it like a polaroid picture and we started sipping Bacardi like it was our birthdays.
I thought this list was going to be a manageable “5 Songs That Mean 2003 Was The Best” but I fell into a Youtube hole and came out the other side shaking my tailfeather.
So keep this page bookmarked for all future parties because this list is like¦ whoa.
Go shawty, it’s your birthday.
2. Shake Ya Tailfeather – Nelly feat. P. Diddy and Murphy Lee
3. Crazy in Love – Beyonce feat. Jay Z
4. Dirrty – Christina Aguilera feat. Redman
Never forget the year we met Xtina.
Eminem won the 2003 Oscar for Best Original Song.
6. ’03 Bonnie & Clyde – Jay Z feat. Beyonce
7. Dirt Off Your Shoulder – Jay-Z
Plus the whole Black Album.
8. Rock Your Body – Justin Timberlake
9. I Believe in a Thing Called Love – The Darkness
Taylor knows the power of 2003.
10. Pass That Dutch – Missy Elliott
School dances would never be the same.
12. Ignition (Remix) – R. Kelly
If this isn’t the song you sing to prepare for every single weekend, I don’t know what you’re doing with your life.
13. Like Glue – Sean Paul
14. Where is the Love – The Black Eyed Peas feat. Justin Timberlake
15. I Know What You Want – Busta Rhymes ft. Mariah Carey
16. If I Ain’t Got You – Alicia Keys
17. Suga Suga – Baby Bash feat. Frankie J
18. Your Body is a Wonderland – John Mayer
Taylor Swift was 13 and probably belting this song out in her bedroom.
19. Stand Up – Ludacris feat. Shawnna
20. Hey Ya – Outkast
In 2003 Polaroid had to issue a statement telling everyone that shaking their Polaroid pictures might actually damage the photo.
22. Rock Wit U – Ashanti
23. Miss Independent – Kelly Clarkson
This was also the year we were given the cinematic masterpiece From Justin To Kelly.
The yard would never be the same again.
25. Beautiful – Snoop Dogg feat. Pharrell
26. Holidae Inn – Chingy feat. Ludacris and Snoop Dogg
27. Mesmerize – Ja Rule feat. Ashanti
2003 MTV Music Awards. Madonna makes out with Britney and Xtina during Like A Virgin. Everyone loses their minds.
29. Get Low – Lil John & The Eastown Boyz
To the win-doooooooowwwww. To the wall.
Where’s Bring Me To Life and My Immortal and Clocks?