If one of your New Year’s resolutions was to actually start using your oven to cook and not as storage space, then you’ll definitely want to check out these cookbooks, which includes recipes from the best celebrity chefs around, a décor and cooking guru and dishes inspired by your favorite take-out foods. Time to start cooking!
1. Meatless: More Than 200 Of The Very Best Vegetarian Recipes by Martha Stewart, available at chapters.indigo.ca for online price: $19.76, List Price: $29.95
Martha Stewart, you’ve done it again. Yes, this new book, which features 200 vegetarian recipes from the mastermind herself, will actually have you cooking the recipes instead of just salivating at the photographs. And you don’t need to be a vegetarian to enjoy the delights of this book and meat eaters – don’t be afraid. From no-bake lasagna to white cheddar corn chowder to zucchini tacos, you’ll be too busy eating the food you won’t even notice it is meatless. Meat, what meat?
2. Skinny Bitch: Ultimate Everyday Cookbook: Crazy Delicious Recipes that Are Good to the Earth and Great for Your Body by Kim Barnouin, available at chapters.indigo.ca for online price: $23.10, List Price: $35
Remember when Kim Barnouin wrote a book in 2005 and gave us the hard – extremely hard – truth that if we wanted to look and feel good then we needed to eat good? Well she’s back, looking slightly happier on the cover photo, but still sticking to her guns of a healthy vegan diet and this book definitely has it. Perfect for the vegan-in-training, or again someone who wants to change things up, this book gives you 150 practical everyday recipes, which are easy to make and delicious to eat.
3. Gluten-Free on a Shoestring, Quick and Easy: 100 Recipes for the Food You Love – Fast! by Nicole Hunn, available at amazon.ca for $15.88
More and more people are beginning to love gluten-free foods – and it’s not just because Miley Cyrus praised it for being the best eating regime ever. Gluten-free foods are actually delicious (and yes, I can vow for this) and with this cookbook you can see it for yourself. Go ahead and try one of the baked goods recipes like Twinkie-Style cupcakes, which will make you wonder why you never tried gluten before.
4. Les Petits Macarons: Colorful French Confections to Make at Home by Kathryn Gordon, available at amazon.ca for $15.16
If you’re like me and fell in love with macarons ever since you saw Blair Waldrof eating them on Gossip Girl then this book is for you. Finally taking your television foodie dream and making it into reality, this detailed cookbook will finally let you learn how to make the coveted colorful pastry. Of course, it takes time and technique to get a recipe just right but who wouldn’t want to learn to make a work of art you can actually eat? Thought so.
5. Michael Symon’s Carnivore: 120 Recipes for Meat Lovers by Michael Symon, available at amazon.ca for $25.71
It wouldn’t be fair to make a cookbook list and not include at least 1 meat cookbook for those who still enjoy their steak and chicken. This book is definitely one that stands out and will please meat lovers – especially since it is written by celebrity chef Michael Symon – who is popular for being on the Food Network’s Iron Chef. Using his culinary skills, Michael provides readers with proper cooking techniques and adaptable home recipes.
6. My Father’s Daughter: Delicious, Easy Recipes Celebrating Family & Togetherness by Gwyneth Paltrow, available at chapters.indigo.ca for online price: $33, List Price: $21.78
When a celebrity writes a cookbook you expect the recipes to be lavish (and expensive) recipes that would require a million dollar kitchen to make everything in. This is so not the case for this book. Actress Gwyneth Paltrow shows us how enjoyable, fun and a family event cooking can be with this cookbook. Although she has a second book of recipes out, this one provides great home-inspired dishes and lets us get a peak into her family with vivid photographs, which make us love her humble approach to food and life even more.
7. Food Network Magazine 1 000 Easy Recipes: Super Fun Food For Every by Food Network Magazine, available at chapters.indigo.ca for online price: $26.99, List Price: $17.81
If watching the Food Network is one of your hobbies, you will be happy to know that they have a cookbook out, which features easy meals from the Food Network’s kitchen itself. You can definitely trust these recipes since they’re tested by the best and they guide how to cook everything from fish to salads to appetizers.
8. Truly Mexican: Essential Recipes and Techniques for Authentic Mexican Cooking by Roberto Santibanez, , available at chapters.indigo.ca for online price: $42, List Price: $27.72
Warm up this winter with Mexican food to delight your taste buds and fuel your love for Mexican food even more. With 128 recipes and classics like soft shell tacos and learning how to make guacamole – a delicious must-have to all Mexican foods – you can have a fiesta every night.
9. The Chinese Takeout Cookbook: Quick and Easy Dishes to Prepare at Home by Diana Kuan, available at amazon.ca for $21.95
If your love for Chinese food is so big you wish you could have Chinese food every night, your prayer has been answered. With its release just last month, Diana Kuan gives the everyday man the opportunity to make your favorite Asian-inspired take-out favorite and trust me, she just doesn’t teach you how to make basic stuff but also more intricate favorites like Shrimp Egg Rolls and Kung Pao Chicken. Can anyone say yum?
10. The Unofficial Mad Men Cookbook: Inside the Kitchens, Bars, and Restaurants of Mad Men by Judy Gelman and Peter Zheutlin, available at amazon.ca for $14.44
Okay, so this book may have came out almost a year and a bit ago, but it is still the perfect book if you want drinks that are as suave and classy as the men (and women) on the hit television show. Although not officially made by the shows producers, this book provides us with drink inspiration and gives us hope that we will be finally able to be as cool as Draper while drinking on of the signature drinks.