She’s so right! How are you supposed to stay hot for your guy if you’d rather debate the latest Us Weekly ‘Who Wore It Best’ poll than rip his clothes off? Telling people that your boyfriend is your best friend is like advertising that you have a boring sex life and zero friends. Everyone needs that balanced equation of separate lover + bestie to be sane and happy.
For instance, have you ever discussed the pros and cons of dry shampoos with your boyfriend? Have you recently asked his advice on whether to jump on this season’s colour-blocking bandwagon? Did you share a box of Kleenex with your guy during Oprah’s final send-off at the United Centre? If you answered yes to any of the above, your love life is in serious danger!
Your boyfriend will always take a “fine” at face value, even when you respond in an obviously angry tone. Cue your best friend who will listen sympathetically while you vent until your irritation wears off, so you can calmly resolve your lover’s quarrel. Without a separate best friend, you might have simmered to the boiling point and caused an even bigger blow-up, or worse, swallowed your anger only to have it pop back up again in an even bigger fight later on!
Neither of these outcomes are going help your relationship stay intact, which is why we’ve created a handy primer for anyone struggling with the separate roles and responsibilities of boyfriend vs best friend:
1. Painting each other’s toes: BEST FRIEND
2. Painting your new apartment: BOYFRIEND
3. Holding your hand during your first eyebrow waxing: BEST FRIEND
4. Holding your hand during Shark Night 3D: BOYFRIEND
5. Empathizing when that stylist totally lied about being a balayage expert: BEST FRIEND
6. Empathizing when your landlord totally lied about fixing that leak: BOYFRIEND
7. Staying up all night planning your imaginary wedding(s): BEST FRIEND
8. Staying up all night doing everything but talking: BOYFRIEND
Do you believe in having a separate boyfriend and best friend?