“Notably raw” was how Vulture Magazine described Ali Wong’s standup comedy special, Baby Cobra, released on Netflix this past May. Notable is right. If you haven’t already devoured it in its awesome entirety, you’ve probably still seen a still or two of the pocket-sized Wong totally rocking her sizeable baby bump in a skin tight dress from H&M, (which surprisingly enough passes the high school finger tip test), plastered on the websites of major outlets like Vogue, CBC, Elle and New York Magazine. Recommended to me by mother and chock full of anal sex references, Baby Cobra gifted me my new favourite comedian and a slight paranoia that I may have already slept with a homeless man; (it’s the not knowing that gets me). You probably know her as one of the writers on the show, Fresh Off The Boat, but you probably didn’t know that she named her daughter Mari after the author of The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up. Here are 10 more things you probably don’t know (but should) about comedy’s next big thing: Ali Wong.
1. She is the first comedian to perform standup comedy or film a standup special while seven months pregnant.
2. The name of her special, Baby Cobra, was inspired by her favourite yoga pose, because “it just feels good.” Unfazed by assertions that having a baby would “kill” her career, Wong swiftly SHUT DEM UP with this cleverness: my baby kills = cobras kill = killing in comedy is a good thing. BAM.
3. She’s planning on showing Baby Cobra to her daughter, Mari, when she is 13 years old. (What age do they start teaching sex education in school again?)
4. In Baby Cobra she forwent the heels but instead sported shoes that bore a strong resemblance to jelly sandals.
5. She is resentful of the fact that women can’t just eat a Twinkie at a gas station like men can; (or bananas without giving off an accidentally sexual vibe). I mean, who isn’t?
6. Her favourite snack is pig ears.
My family welcoming me home this weekend with my favorite #PigEars A photo posted by @aliwong3000 on Feb 7, 2015 at 12:09pm PST
7. She has killer dance moves and isn’t afraid to show them off
Even when she’s pregnant
8. She acts! She’s appeared in a number of TV series dating back to 2011 and has lent her voice to animated movies and shows, like Netflix’s BoJack Horseman and the Angry Birds movie.
9. Prior to leaving for 13 days on her honeymoon to Japan, and taking a slight break from making us laugh so hard that we pee a little, Wong did a show on her wedding night, in her wedding dress. At this point, Wong was clocking in at somewhere around a decade of performing standup nearly every single night.
10. If she wasn’t a standup comic, she would want to be a trophy wife who’s also a Zumba instructor.
Main image via Netflix